CNN article on swim briefs

Swim briefs, bikinis, thongs, and square-cuts. A place to discuss swimwear against the norm.
normalguy-wildundies

CNN article on swim briefs

Post by normalguy-wildundies »

This article from CNN details that swim briefs are becoming more popular which is good to see. The article isn't actually cheering it on but it's nice to see that something other than board shorts are becoming more popular.

https://www.cnn.com/style/speedos-comeb ... index.html
Thonglover8k

Re: CNN article on swim briefs

Post by Thonglover8k »

Much maligned and controversial? By who? I don’t think so.
I’ve actually only ever worn speedos since I learnt to swim.
Now my swimwear choice has become much smaller than standard speedo, I even occasionally wear thongs to the beach.
I’d never wear dork short when swimming, I might wear them to the beach, but after a swim, I’d leave the beach in just my speedos, it’s common practice here in Australia.
swimmer78

Post by swimmer78 »

Thonglover8k wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:39 pm Much maligned and controversial? By who? I don’t think so.
I’ve actually only ever worn speedos since I learnt to swim.
Now my swimwear choice has become much smaller than standard speedo, I even occasionally wear thongs to the beach.
I’d never wear dork short when swimming, I might wear them to the beach, but after a swim, I’d leave the beach in just my speedos, it’s common practice here in Australia.
You have to remember this article from CNN is coming with an American bias against speedos. I think it's difficult for people outside the US (and maybe the UK) to understand the negative light our pop culture puts on guys wearing swim briefs and even more so something skimpier like a thong. It's hard to explain really. I'm sure it's perplexing to hear of men in the US "working up the courage" to don a swim brief in public. Honestly though, after wearing speedos to pools and beaches for about 8 years now, I've never really had trouble or complaints with anyone. Most of the anti-speedo sentiment I've seen here in the US is online from anonymous trolls and commenters.
Guitar T

Post by Guitar T »

Speedos, briefs, bikinis, anything other than board shorts in the USA have a generally negative light in the country. Not only does the media malign men wearing Speedos or similar, many in the public hold a similar view. I have been a person that has never followed the crowd and never took up the board short look. As a result I’ve been on many beached around the USA wearing a thong or a micro bikini brief. I’ve heard negative comments about Speedos from my family members, other beach goers, complete strangers and some friends. Some the comments are filled with fire. With all of theses people thongs are even more maligned. There are people I see at my local beach that have both expressed their dislike and go out of their way to not be on the same section of beach with me. (Their loss)

On the other end of the continuum I have people telling me how brave I am, how much they like what I wear and how they wish they had the confidence I have. I’ve met new friends because they came up to me to ask me about my swimwear.

Seeing an article talking about the greater acceptance of Speedos in good in my opinion. Seeing other men embrace showing some more skin is a a positive direction. Seeing an article like this in a major media outlet is even better.