How did you discover men’s thongs?

Let's talk about thongs
GenX_MCMLXXI

Re: How did you discover men’s thongs?

Post by GenX_MCMLXXI »

David_NC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:12 am I saw the Joe Boxer thong at K-Mart when I was around 15, but didn't feel I could ask my parents for one. My mom did buy my first string bikini (tanga) when I was 13 so she probably would have bought it but the thong seemed more embarrassing for a 15 year old in my mind at the time. It wasn't until I was 18, making my own money and was at a shopping center 30 minutes from home where no one would know me that I bought two Jockey 100% cotton thongs - they were not the best design (but I still have both). Later I did finally get my Joe Boxers from K-Mart (I still have them also); then finally was able to get a CK thong when I was 19, still 100% cotton (I still have it also). Then came Undergear - they were a wonderful company to order from. The was 22 years ago in the late 90s, so in little NC thongs were not easy to find in store.
Undergear was a great website, and then there was Malepak (later they changed their name to Prevail Sport). They had some really great thongs, and in big & tall sizes!
just mark

Post by just mark »

I was buying some tanga briefs from BHS in 1993.

I happened to notice that there were thong briefs
On hangers right next to the Tangas.
They were the same style as the Tangas with the waistband being a piece of elastic.

I bought one of those thongs, and have worn all types of thongs since.
Guitar T

Post by Guitar T »

After reading through all the post here, I am beginning to think I am the only one that never knew of Joe Boxer thongs. I knew of K Mart but never heard of the Joe Boxer brand let alone their thongs.
normalguy-wildundies

Post by normalguy-wildundies »

When I was in high school and college all the guys wore boxers. I always wanted to wear something skimpier but was too afraid of anyone finding out and there's not a lot of privacy in dorms and shared apartments. When I graduated I got a job and an apartment to myself. One of the first things I did was run to the store and pick up a pack of mens Hanes string bikinis. I remember being super nervous checking out because what was the checkout lady going to think of me?!?!?

I really liked the smaller brief but wanted to try something even smaller but wasn't interested in trying thongs at all. I ended up finding an ebay seller that sold string bikinis with a string waistband and a smaller back. I looked through her store and noticed a animal print thong on sale as well. The thought of a thong seemed so uncomfortable but I really like animal print and it was only a couple bucks so I added it to my cart. When the package arrived in my mailbox I tore it open and tried on the string bikinis right away. I loved the smaller fabric and the feel of the silkier material. After I tried on the bikinis, I put the thong on and was blown away at how comfortable it was. It held everything in place and the thong strap actually felt good! I loved the way I looked and felt in the thong. That purchase sent me down the road of eventually having a drawer full of thongs of all kinds of brands, colors, and patterns.
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

I think I was a senior in high school when first became aware of thongs. This was in the early 90s. I was walking through Dillards and saw a valentines thong on a hanger. I had already been wearing bikini style underwear for a few years at that point, but had never seen anything like this.

My underwear at that time was mostly Jockey, the little striped ones that came in the tubes. I started wearing those when I was about 14. Luckily my dad wore similar type of underwear, which made it easy to ask for some of my own.

When I was about 17, I was at either Penney’s or Macy’s with my dad getting some school clothes, including underwear. I sheepishly grabbed a tube of the thongs. Thankfully, the packaging didn’t have photos back then.

Unfortunately, the tube itself was a completely different shape from the regular bikini tube and clearly said “THONG” on the side. I tried to keep it facing away from my dad, but when we were in line at the register, he grabbed the tube and told me I had the picked the wrong ones.

I tried to keep cool, and just told him I wanted black, and those were the only kind they had that were black. He looked a little uncomfortable, and said ”do you know these are going to fit different in the back?”

I could feel myself get flush with embarrassment . But I nodded my head and said yes, they were the ones I wanted. He shook his head and said “OK but we aren’t taking them back them back.”
And that was that.
TANGA TANGA

Post by TANGA TANGA »

Lonestar wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:13 pm I think I was a senior in high school when first became aware of thongs. This was in the early 90s. I was walking through Dillards and saw a valentines thong on a hanger. I had already been wearing bikini style underwear for a few years at that point, but had never seen anything like this.

My underwear at that time was mostly Jockey, the little striped ones that came in the tubes. I started wearing those when I was about 14. Luckily my dad wore similar type of underwear, which made it easy to ask for some of my own.

When I was about 17, I was at either Penney’s or Macy’s with my dad getting some school clothes, including underwear. I sheepishly grabbed a tube of the thongs. Thankfully, the packaging didn’t have photos back then.

Unfortunately, the tube itself was a completely different shape from the regular bikini tube and clearly said “THONG” on the side. I tried to keep it facing away from my dad, but when we were in line at the register, he grabbed the tube and told me I had the picked the wrong ones.

I tried to keep cool, and just told him I wanted black, and those were the only kind they had that were black. He looked a little uncomfortable, and said ”do you know these are going to fit different in the back?”

I could feel myself get flush with embarrassment . But I nodded my head and said yes, they were the ones I wanted. He shook his head and said “OK but we aren’t taking them back them back.”
And that was that.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thong experience. Would have been amazing if your thong purchase had inspired your dad to give them a go, but it's cool that he wore bikini briefs.
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

TANGA TANGA wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:24 pm
Lonestar wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:13 pm I think I was a senior in high school when first became aware of thongs. This was in the early 90s. I was walking through Dillards and saw a valentines thong on a hanger. I had already been wearing bikini style underwear for a few years at that point, but had never seen anything like this.

And that was that.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thong experience. Would have been amazing if your thong purchase had inspired your dad to give them a go, but it's cool that he wore bikini briefs.
Thank you. Yeah he never really talked much about his underwear. I don’t think it’s something he put a lot of thought into he always wore kinda plain bikinis, with a few smaller string bikinis, mixed in.
He never mentioned the thongs again. I didn’t have the guts to wear them on school days, but I wore them frequently enough where they were in the laundry quite a bit, but nobody said anything.
Last edited by Lonestar on Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrossfiThong

Post by CrossfiThong »

And that was that.
Dude, this is amazing, at least your dad didn't get get them away from you, and he still allowed you to wear them and try them on, and also, you are right, probably he didn't even thought about them.
Lazysaturdays88

Post by Lazysaturdays88 »

Frederick's of Hollywood.

When I was in my early teens, my best friend and I got around to talking about how women's underwear was so much fancier and sexier than men's. One day he excitedly informed me that he found a lingerie catalog in his mom's room, so we went through it together and when I saw that there were these luxurious, silky, shiny thongs for men ... my mind was blown.
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

CrossfiThong wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:59 pm

And that was that.
Dude, this is amazing, at least your dad didn't get get them away from you, and he still allowed you to wear them and try them on, and also, you are right, probably he didn't even thought about them.
I think Dad thought at first it was a legitimate mistake. Like I had grabbed the wrong tube. Then in front of the cashier and everything I think he just didn’t know what to say. He never commented on them or talked about trying them on. Those two pairs went into the laundry rotation with everything else.
I was already wearing some pretty skimpy stuff at that point. But thongs are always another level.
When we went shopping the following year, they only had regular bikinis and strings, so I went with those. Eventually when I was older, I bought more thongs on my own.