Why do men not cover erections in public

Swim briefs, bikinis, thongs, and square-cuts. A place to discuss swimwear against the norm.
DownUnder

Why do men not cover erections in public

Post by DownUnder »

This thinking came from an incident that happened with the Scottish relative (Louise) visiting us at the moment. We were nearly ready for a swim in the pool (so all of us in bathers, Louse in her new Sailor Stripe bikini), and she jumped off a low wall to turn a water tap off for me. She got breast bounce while doing so, and hard nipples followed. Now the usual response here (Aus) would be for the arms to be folded over the breasts, or the arms crossed with the hands cupping the breasts. The classiest response I have seen was a Fijian woman who just folded her left arm, with hand out-stretched, about two cm in front of her breasts. Lou did none of that and did not seem bothered in the least by it, but there were just the three of us.

So, the question is, why do men/teenage boys not do something similar when an erection occurs in bathers. This seems to be the main objection to wearing skimpy swimwear while in public. Or do I have this all wrong and the real issue is one of the genitals being visible, regardless of their state.

The hands are obviously out of action while doing so, but then so are a woman's in her equivalent situation, and most of them do that here.

My feeling is that, in too many people's eyes, a man's hands anywhere near his penis equals masturbation. It's probable that this concern is also relatively recent, as I don't remember teenage girls worrying about hard nipples when I was a teenager.

As a side question, are there any cultures where a man would cover himself in such a situation, and perhaps even be expected to.

tbdrawer
Site Admin

Re: Why do men not cover erections in public

Post by tbdrawer »

I guess I never noticed women doing that. If they folded their arms to cover their breasts it would look like a pretty natural standing position to me. Also maybe the women at the beaches I've been to have some padding built into their tops to help hide the phenomenon.

It seems most men wear shorts, so they are already covered up! I don't think it is a natural stance for us cupping our hands over the goods unless you are standing in a wall for a free kick in football (aka soccer). I know some guys if laying out will roll onto their stomach if they get excited in their form fitting swim attire. Then there are some that consider it natural and others want to show off like that. I feel the objection to skimpy swimwear is just in general to showing we have a penis, but being excited in one would bring a bigger up rise to them.

I don't know if there is proper etiquette for either men and women in the situation. Maybe just keep acting normal and try not to bring attention to it?? So far I haven't been put into that situation.

TANGA TANGA

Post by TANGA TANGA »

Thankfully,"Hard nipples and erections." is not the title of the latest Kiss album. However,it is the subject matter of this post.
I personally thought it was perfectly natural for a woman's nipples to become hard from time to time,and so I can't understand why,under any circumstances,it would be deemed necessary for them to be covered up as though it was something to be ashamed of.
Similar thing with erections. Imagine two speedo clad men on a beach with prominent bulges. How could you tell the difference between the one guy who is naturally well endowed,and the other guy who has an erection? You probably couldn't. So does that mean that the well endowed guy shouldn't be allowed to wear a skimpy speedo in case people think he has an erection,and should he be forced to cover up in board shorts that we guys who follow this blog detest? Definitely not!
For any of you guys out there who might receive criticism for daring to wear bulge revealing swimwear,just say to that person "if you don't like it,you don't have to look at it!"

DownUnder

Post by DownUnder »

I wonder if this might be just an Australian thing, or perhaps even a northern (i.e., warmer) Australian behaviour. I should point out that this behaviour does not just apply to swimwear, it happens with any clothing where nipples show. Also we shouldn't single out bikinis, it applies to other styles of swimwear. As I said, I think this is a more recent behaviour, as I don't remember girls in the 1970s being bothered by hard nipples. But then showing the outlines of underwear was not an issue either.

It's a pity that others have not responded. Getting thoughts from the South African or Spanish members, plus the women who are now members, would have been interesting.

As an edit, this behaviour must be a recent thing here. I remember the wet t-shirt competitions that were common in earlier decades. There was no problem then about showing nipples. No doubt there were plenty of attractive girls who did not take part, not so much through any worry about showing nipples, but more through not wanting to actively show them. There must have also been the boy-friends of some of the girls who were not happy about such a public display of their girl-friends nipples. But overall the girls who took part in these competitions must have been happy to do so. Any natural showing of their nipples, in swimwear or other clothes was just accepted by the women generally in those years. Same applied to other clothes, but then look at the thicker moulded bras now available for wearing with t-shirts or other tight tops.

mikaloviche

Post by mikaloviche »

I have the old style speedo and it is made from more stretchy fabric and when wet it sculpts around your manhood and leaves nothing to the imagination. I am not particularly well hung however with a few elastic bands and a ring I manage to get quite a bulge. girls stare giggle laugh even and whisper commnet and just love it. I walk around with an erection facing down so i just look well humg. It is great girls chat to you and comment and love looking at us guys just as much as we do them. I was chattting to a young girl and started to get a hard on and I just ignored it and we both kept chatting as she was sitting right in front of me and i sttod in front of her and we both enjoyed the elephant in the room so to speak. get a bit braver guys . girls love it when it's discreet. laying on my towek a bunch a young girls all around me just couldn't control them selves as I got a bigger bulge and just pretended nothing was wrong. some took pics.

stringbikinidude

Post by stringbikinidude »

At the pool a couple weeks ago I swore that I saw a guy in the hot tube sporting wood. He was with what looked like his girlfriend and another guy and girl. They were boardshorts and it could have been just how they can 'bunch up' in the front making it look like he had an erection. Interestingly, he did leave the hot tub before all the others!? I don't know if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me though....or the fact that I've been wearing speedos lately... which maybe has given me a different perspective on how boardshorts actually look on us guys... with how they can bunch up and bulge in the front all on their own. I think north American culture generally frowns on hard nipples/visible erections whilst other cultures/countries its accepted but I could be wrong. I guess due to my upbringing I do see that its maybe not respectful of others showing off an erection or maybe it depends on who you are around lol!

stringbikinidude

Post by stringbikinidude »

If this guy I saw in the hot tub actually had a real erection, he was very chill about it. I thought that was cool. Maybe it's the 'exhibitionist' in me that thought it was cool. Maybe it's as cool of an experience as wearing string side bikini swimwear to the pool ; )